An interview with Dee Douglas
The last three weeks we had a great opportunity to practise our English with a native speaker - Dee. We were all happy that Mrs. Douglas came to our school and spent some time with us. We asked her a lot of questions and she patiently answered all of them, she brought a lot of positive energy and wisdom into our classroom, told us about living in the United States, travelling around the world and showed us some postcards. For those, who didn´t have a chance to meet her, we made short interview:
- Where are you from? I am from Florida, Vera Beach.
- Why did you come to the Czech Republic? First, I came here in 2003 to help students with English and I wanted to visit the Czech Republic. I have been here many times since that time, because I really like it here.
- Do you like our school? I do like this school. I think is important to learn practical skills about flowers and wine growing, I appreciate this mostly our educational system is a little bit different.
- What is your favourite country? My favourite country today is the Czech Republic.
- Do you like Czech people? Yes, I like them very much. Now I have the full class of good people.
- Which places have you visited in the Czech Republic? I have been to Praha many times, I visited a lot interesting places here. This year I was in Kroměříž.
- Do you like Czech cuisine? I like it very much, for example Czech roasted pork with cabbage and svíčková and štrůdl.
- What is your favourite drink? I really like diet Coke. In my heart I really like Cola, but in my head I know it is wrong to drink it. It is hard to stop to drink it. Czech Kofola is ok, but cola is better.
- And what about Czech wine? Czech wine? I like Czech wine, I prefer white wine. I think I'm allergic to red one. But I don´t drink wine very often.
- What did you do before you come? I have been retired almost 10 years, before that, I was a school psychologist. I worked with disabled and disadvantaged children and their parents.
- What are you doing at your free time? I like travelling and reading books.
- How much does the ticket to the Czech Republic cost? If I come off season, it is about 800 dollars.
- How long does the journey take from Czech to Florida? About 13 hours, from Vienna to Frankfurt to Orlando.